Five eco-friendly cleaners
Taste April 2013
We know how important it is to eat foods free of pesticides and other synthetic ingredients. But what we use to clean our homes is just as important as what we put in our bodies.
Most conventional cleaning products contain harmful chemicals and toxic ingredients that can lead to serious health problems. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says levels of pollutants in indoor air can be from two to more than 100 times higher than outdoors, due mainly to harmful chemicals that evaporate from home cleaning products.
Some cause skin and respiratory irritation, watery eyes, or chemical burns, while others are associated with chronic illnesses such as asthma, hormone disruption and cancer. Once they go down the drain, some compounds inevitably wind up in waterways where they threaten water quality, fish and wildlife.
PCC only carries cleaning products derived from truly natural ingredients, so they’re safer for you and the environment. They don’t create harsh fumes or contain fillers or thickeners, and they biodegrade more quickly and more completely. Natural cleaners also have come a long way when it comes to their effectiveness; the products you’ll find in our stores have been expertly formulated to get the job done.
Here are five effective, non-toxic cleaning products available at PCC, handpicked by our knowledgeable merchandisers.
- Seventh Generation Disinfecting Multi-Surface Cleaner — This lemongrass and citrus-scented cleaner kills over 99.99% of household germs botanically. No rinsing or wiping is required, even on food surfaces.
- Biokleen Bac-Out Stain & Odor Eliminator — The live enzyme-producing cultures in this locally produced product attack pet and food stains, organic waste and odors until they’re gone, naturally digesting them.
- Earth Friendly Parsley Plus All Surface Cleaner — Bring the fresh smell of parsley into your home with this all-purpose countertop and surface cleaner that quickly penetrates grease, oil and grime.
- Ecover Toilet BOWL Cleaner — Plant-based ingredients comprise this cleaner that has a multi-action decalcifying agent to keep your toilet fresh.
- Bon Ami Powder Cleanser — Originally formulated in 1886, this classic, general-use powder contains cleaning agents made from coconut and corn oils; feldspar and limestone act as gentle abrasives.
Earth Friendly Products
Learn more about Earth Friendly Products and their local factory in Lacey, Wash.