PCC supports our communities
This article was originally published in April 2015
PCC does more than just provide good food for you and your family. It also helps support our communities through event sponsorships and food donations, and lends a hand to neighbors in need. Here are some highlights during 2014:
- We partnered with Solid Ground, a non-profit dedicated to ending poverty, to organize “Market Nights,” temporary farmers markets at schools in lower-income neighborhoods.
- The Kid Picks program hosted 44 events for kids to sample and vote on foods. Kids in our region have been introduced to 5,870 foods since the program began in 2004. They’ve approved 50 percent!
- PCC supported an annual conference of organic seed farmers, sponsored by the Organic Seed Alliance, based here in Washington.
- We completed a three-year pledge supporting organic seed-breeding research through Washington State University, to help develop organic seed stock for local organic farmers.
- In 2014 our 289 Scrip partners earned $263,853 from PCC. Any supporter of a registered school or nonprofit can raise funds by purchasing a rechargeable Scrip card and using it like a gift card when shopping at PCC.
- Proceeds from our Bagged Apple Program supported a variety of hands-on activities for K-12 students and their teachers.
- The PCC Food Bank Program donated nearly 80,000 pounds of basic, healthy food to partner food banks.
- PCC awarded $1,000 grants to four schools or nonprofits that exemplify the spirit of our local community, especially ones that focus on food, nutrition and sustainability.
- PCC supported the Rainier Beach Urban Farm last year with a $10,000 donation through the Seattle Parks Foundation.
- PCC donated $10,000 to nutrition outreach and anti-obesity programs through Seattle Children’s Hospital.
None of PCC’s partnerships and donations would be possible without your support. To learn more about PCC’s outreach, visit pccmarkets.com/community. Thank you.