- 3 medium zucchini, cut into lengthwise slices
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 3 cups marinara sauce (my recipe or your favorite brand)
- 2 teaspoons each chopped oregano and thyme
- 12 to 14 thin slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Dip the slices in the egg and sprinkle both sides with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Fry the slices in vegetable oil over medium heat until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Layer half of the sauce in the bottom of an 8×8 casserole dish. Place half of the zucchini slices in the bottom. Sprinkle with half of the oregano and thyme. Top with half of the fresh mozzarella and half of the parmigiana. Scatter the capers and chopped basil over the cheese layer. Top with the remaining zucchini, oregano and thyme. Spread the rest of the sauce over the last layer of zucchini and top with the fresh mozzarella and Parmigiana. You may garnish the top with rings of red bell pepper if you like.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Garnish with fresh basil.