- 6 tablespoons ghee, oil or butter, divided
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 pound lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup yellow split peas
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoons rosewater
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
In a Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons ghee over medium heat and sauté the onions for 10 minutes or until golden-brown. Add the meat and sauté for 2 minutes before adding the salt, pepper, turmeric and cinnamon. Continue to sauté for an additional minute before adding the water. Cover and simmer over low heat for 60 minutes.
Add the yellow split peas, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar and saffron rosewater and stir. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 to 40 minutes longer or until the yellow split peas are cooked. Adjust the liquid level as needed.
In a wide skillet, heat 3 tablespoons ghee over medium heat and sauté the apples for 5 minutes or until lightly softened and golden.
Arrange the apples on top of the stew, cover and cook on low heat for an additional 15 minutes. Taste and correct the seasoning to your taste by adding more sugar or vinegar if necessary. Place in a serving dish and serve hot over steamed basmati rice. .