- 3 tart apples, cored and sliced 1/4-inch-thick
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
Combine apples, 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and nutmeg in a bowl; let stand for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 300° F. Grease a 9-by 5-inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl, cream together butter, remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, until incorporated; stir in vanilla. Gradually add flour and salt and beat until smooth. Transfer batter to the prepared pan; push apple slices vertically into batter.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm.