A wintery take on game-day nachos, this dish combines hearty mushrooms and creamy cheese (and a touch of salty bacon, if you like). All of this is piled on tortilla chips for a skillet full of nachos to really impress your guests.
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil, additional if needed
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (optional)
- 8 ounces assorted mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 4 ounces shredded Fontina cheese
- 4 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped chives, for serving
- Truffle salt, to taste, for serving (optional)
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Heat oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add bacon, if using, and cook until just crisp and fat is rendered. Add mushrooms, onions and garlic to the skillet and cook until mushrooms release their juices, adding a little more oil, if needed. Add kale and a splash of water, cover, and cook until soft. Season with pepper and transfer mixture to a plate.
Spread half the tortilla chips in the skillet. Sprinkle with half the cheeses and mushroom mixture. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients.
Bake until cheese is melted, 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chives. Stir truffle salt into sour cream and serve as a dipping sauce.