- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup white wine, such as sauvignon blanc
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
Heat butter in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches and brown; season well with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Add mushrooms to the pot and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes; season well with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add shallots, garlic and thyme to the pot and cook, stirring often, until shallots are soft, about 7 minutes. Pour in wine and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Add chicken and mushrooms, with any accumulated juices, and broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Stir in cream and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.