- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, small dice
- 2 ribs celery, small dice (about 1/2 cup)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Yukon gold potato, small dice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 (14-ounce can) diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1/2 pound wild salmon, skin removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, minced
- Lemon juice, if needed
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
Sauté onions, celery and salt for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add thyme, bay leaf and cayenne and deglaze the pan with white wine. Add tomatoes, water and clam juice and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
Add cream, salmon and parsley and turn off the heat. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding lemon juice, if desired.
It’s even better the next day.