- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 3 tablespoons high-heat oil or bacon drippings, divided
- 1 cup chopped leeks (white and light green parts only)
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, flaked
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs (optional)
Cook potatoes until just tender in a large pot of salted boiling water, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and let cool. Grate potatoes into a large bowl and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and fennel and cook until soft, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil and grated potatoes. Spread potatoes evenly in the pan and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until a crispy brown crust forms.
Flip potatoes over in sections and cook until golden brown, another 7 to 10 minutes. Gently stir in salmon, peppers, herbs and vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Using a spoon, make 4 shallow indentations in hash and crack 1 egg into each indentation. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until whites are set, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member