- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 butternut squash – peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 shallots, quartered
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet or dish with parchment paper.
Combine rice and stock in a saucepan over high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the kernels puff open and most of the liquid is absorbed, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
Toss together cubed squash, shallots, 2 tablespoons olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Spread mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Bake until squash is tender and shallots are caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Gently break apart shallots into smaller pieces.
In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil and Dijon mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, gently toss together wild rice, squash, shallots, spinach, feta, cranberries, parsley, walnuts and dressing. Serve warm or cold.