- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup demerara sugar
- 1 3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon good-quality cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole grain emmer flour
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cocoa nibs
Preheat oven to 350º F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Cream butter with white, demerara and brown sugars in a mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, vanilla, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and mix for 30 seconds on low speed. Gradually add in flours, then stir in chopped chocolate and cocoa nibs.
Scoop out dough in heaping tablespoons on prepared baking sheets. Do not flatten them. Sprinkle with a bit of extra demerara and crunchy sea salt, if you like, before they go into the oven. Cook for exactly 12 minutes. They may appear underdone or too soft, but they will set up once they cool down.