- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 8 whole cardamom pods
- 4 drops rosewater or vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee, melted
- 6 to 8 tablespoons milk, as needed
- High-heat oil, for frying
- Chopped pistachios, to garnish (optional)
Combine water, sugar, lime juice and cardamom pods in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, to create a light syrup. Stir in rosewater and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together powdered milk, flour and baking powder. Add butter and mix until evenly distributed and mixture looks like coarse meal. Sprinkle 6 tablespoons milk over mixture and gently mix without kneading. If dough is dry, sprinkle with milk 1 tablespoon at a time until dough holds together. Divide dough into 12 pieces and roll into balls. If dough cracks, sprinkle with more milk and mix again.
Heat oil in a wide saucepan over medium-low heat. Fry dough in batches until a deep golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Reheat the rose syrup until warm. Add fried dough and remove from heat. Let soak for 2 hours before serving, garnished with chopped pistachios.
If you prefer, substitute orange blossom water for the rosewater.