- 1 pound pears – peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 pound frozen berries, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped candied ginger
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pats
- 1 egg
Combine pears, berries, 1/4 cup brown sugar, ginger and vinegar in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fruit begins to soften and juices begin to thicken, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar in a bowl. Add butter and combine with a pastry cutter or your fingers until well blended. Stir in egg until well mixed. Dollop fruit mixture with batter. Cover the skillet tightly with a lid or foil and cook, undisturbed, until dumplings are cooked through and their tops no longer sticky, 20 to 25 minutes.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member