- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 to 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries (see note)
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces crumbled chèvre cheese
In a bowl, mix together lemon juice, wine and mustard. Slowly drizzle in oil, while whisking, to create an emulsified vinaigrette. Stir in marjoram and lemon zest; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Blanch green beans in a large pot of salted, boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and cool.
In a large bowl, toss together green beans, wheat berries, onions, tomatoes and vinaigrette. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.
To cook wheat berries from scratch, bring 1 cup berries, 3 cups water and a pinch of salt to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Or, speed things up with pre-cooked, frozen wheat berries.