For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small or medium clove garlic, minced or pureed
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (see note)
For the salad
- 1 1/2 pounds fingerling, Yukon Gold, red or purple potatoes, washed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion, rinsed with cold water and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese
- 2 to 3 sage leaves, cut in thin slivers (optional)
To make the dressing
Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, salt, mustard and garlic. Whisk in olive oil. Taste and adjust seasonings. You can make the dressing several hours in advance.
To make the salad
Cut potatoes into 3/4-inch slices. Steam above 1 inch of boiling water until tender but not mushy, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and while still hot toss in a bowl with salt and pepper, red onion, parsley, goat cheese and the dressing. Sprinkle sage over the top and serve.
For a low-fat dressing, use 1/4 cup yogurt or buttermilk and 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.