- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds, roughly crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons high-heat canola oil
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, tough ends removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut, to garnish (optional)
- Naan, for serving (optional)
In a small bowl, combine paprika, cayenne, cumin, mustard, turmeric and 2 tablespoons water to make a smooth paste; set aside.
Preheat a pan over medium-high heat. Add oil, asparagus, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons water. Cover with a tight fitting lid and increase heat to high. Cook for about 3 minutes or until asparagus is tender but still retains its bright green color. Add garbanzo beans and spice paste; stir for 2 to 3 more minutes until spices have coated asparagus and garbanzo beans.
Add remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt to the pan and lower the heat to medium; stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Add lime juice and remove from the heat. Garnish with coconut and serve warm or at room temperature with grilled or warmed naan.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member