- Zest of 2 lemons plus juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or toasted bread crumbs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons safflower or other high-heat oil
- 1 pound large asparagus, tough ends removed
Preheat a grill pan or traditional grill to medium heat.
In a small bowl, combine lemon zest, parsley, olive oil, Parmesan (or bread crumbs) and salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
Lay the asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with safflower oil. Toss gently to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the asparagus crosswise (so they don’t fall through) onto the grill in a single layer. You may need to grill in batches. Grill until lightly charred on one side, about 5 to 7 minutes. Roll the asparagus over and continue to grill for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until evenly charred.
Remove the asparagus to a large platter. Squeeze a little lemon juice over the top. Spoon the gremolata over the asparagus and finish with a bit more freshly ground pepper, if you like. Serve warm or at room temperature.