- 12 tablespoons softened butter, divided
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (such as Cointreau) or 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 4 large or 6 small plums or apricots, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Ice cream, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Spread 4 tablespoons butter in a 9¬-inch round cake pan. Sprinkle brown sugar and liqueur or zest over the top. Distribute sliced fruit, peel ¬side-down and fanned out, over the surface of brown sugar mixture. Fill in gaps with raspberries.
In a small pan, melt remaining 8 tablespoons butter. Remove from the heat and stir in milk, egg and vanilla; blend well. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl and add the butter¬ mixture. Stir until smooth; the batter will be thick.
Spoon batter over the fruit and smooth the surface. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the pan cool for 5 minutes, and then turn out onto a serving plate. Serve warm with ice cream.