- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 red potatoes, diced into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or veggie stock
- 1 bunch kale (lacinato preferred), thick stems removed and finely cut into a chiffonade
- 15-ounce can cannellini beans, undrained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat oil in a 4-quart soup pot over medium heat; add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until just beginning to get fragrant and the garlic has turned lightly golden. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the potatoes and stock and bring to a boil.
Add the kale and return to a boil; turn heat down and let simmer until the kale is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the beans, heat through and adjust for salt and pepper.