- 1 whole egg, coddled (see note)*
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- Dash of cayenne (optional)
Place the egg, garlic, cheese, Dijon, anchovy, Worcestershire and lemon juice in a food processor and puree. With the machine running, add the oil through the feed tube in a steady stream until the dressing is creamy.
Season to taste with black pepper and cayenne if desired.
To coddle an egg, place it in barely simmering water for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, no longer. This will bring the egg to a safe temperature to cook with. Remove it and immediately crack it into a bowl. The white may turn a bit translucent, but it will still serve as a perfect base for emulsion.
*Contains raw or undercooked food products. Consuming raw or undercooked eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness.