- 6 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder or 1-inch piece of fresh turmeric, smashed
- 3 lemongrass stalks, smashed and sliced into 1-inch lengths
- 8 shallots, smashed
- 8 dried red chile peppers, roasted
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms (oyster work well)
- 2 skin-on chicken breasts, sliced, or 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 8 lime leaves or peels of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Thai Kitchen roasted red chili paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar, optional
In a medium saucepan, bring water to boil. Over high heat, add turmeric, lemongrass, shallots and red chile peppers and let boil for 1 minute. While the soup is boiling, stir in mushrooms, chicken, fish sauce, lime juice, lime leaves, cilantro, salt, roasted red chili paste and sugar, if using. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Lemongrass, chile peppers and lime leaves add a tremendous amount of flavor to this recipe. However, because of their tough texture, it is recommended to leave them in the soup, but not eat them.