- 1 pound silken style tofu, firm or extra firm
- 2 1/2 cups baked sweet potato or yam pulp (see note)
- 1large lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sweet molasses (optional)
- 1-inch fresh ginger root, grated and squeezed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 prepared pie crust
Preheat oven to 375° F.
In blender or food processor, combine all ingredients (except pie crust) until smooth. Start with the smaller amount of sweetener and spices where indicated. Taste and add more sweetener or spices if desired. This is to accommodate the wide variance in both natural sweetness of sweet potatoes and your own taste.
Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350° F. Continue to bake until the texture becomes firm and small cracks form (just as with standard sweet potato or pumpkin pies).
You may substitute canned pumpkin or baked squash for the sweet potato.
Serve with your favorite topping, such as frozen yogurt, whipped cream or frozen sweetened soy yogurt.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member