- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil, divided
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound sweet potatoes or garnet yams, cooked and mashed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 (6-ounce) cans salmon, drained and flaked
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs, plus more for coating
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Crème frâiche or sour cream, for serving
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook celery, onions and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Let mixture cool.
In a large bowl, combine celery mixture, sweet potatoes, parsley, basil, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper. Fold in flaked salmon and breadcrumbs, being careful not to over mix. Form into eight 1-inch-thick patties and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Roll chilled salmon cakes in breadcrumbs, lightly pressing them so they stick to the cakes. Heat remaining oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook cakes until golden brown on each side, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Serve with a dollop of crème frâiche or sour cream.