- 3 to 4 large heirloom tomatoes, at room temperature
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Using a serrated knife, cut tomatoes into bite-sized wedges. Place wedges on a serving platter.
Slice mozzarella into pieces that are about the size of the tomato wedges, or a bit smaller. Scatter on top of the tomatoes, and sprinkle the sliced basil on top.
Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar across the salad; be as generous with both as appeals to you (the richness of the oil helps pull all the flavors together). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
If using small balls of mozzarella, try using cherry tomatoes instead, to keep the size proportions correct. You’ll want a quart of cherry tomatoes for 16 ounces of mozzarella.