- 1/2 cup sesame oil, divided
- 5 cups cooked and cooled quinoa (see note)
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced into half moons
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 head Napa cabbage, sliced into strips
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch broccolini, sliced (including stems)
- 1 red chile, sliced with seeds
- 1/4 cup tamari, or to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 green onions, sliced
Heat a large sauté pan or wok over medium-high heat. Heat 1/4 cup sesame oil and add the cooked quinoa. Stir-fry until it is lightly toasted, adding a little more oil if needed, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove quiona from the pan and set aside.
Wipe or rinse the pan and heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the carrots, onions and cabbage; cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, broccolini and red chile; sauté for 1 minute.
Add the fried quinoa back to the pan and drizzle with tamari. Sauté, while stirring, and let the vegetables continue to cook until tender. Season with black pepper and sprinkle with green onions. Serve hot.
To prepare quinoa, rinse 1 1/3 cups raw quinoa in a fine mesh strainer under cool running water; drain. Place rinsed quinoa in a saucepan with 2 2/3 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and cool.