- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 bunches lacinato kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons shredded Pecorino cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tamari
Combine red onions, garlic, lemon juice and zest in a small bowl; set aside for 30 minutes.
Combine quinoa, water and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, without stirring, until all liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to sit, covered, for 10 additional minutes. Fluff grains with a fork and cool.
Toast sunflower seeds in a 325° F oven for 12 minutes. Cool.
In a large bowl, combine quinoa, sunflower seeds, kale, tomatoes and cheese. Whisk together oil and tamari; add onion mixture and whisk again. Pour over quinoa and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.