- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 pound spicy sausage (chicken, pork or soy), sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 6 medium carrots, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red pepper, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 10 to 12 baby red potatoes, the smaller the better (if unavailable, use larger red potatoes and cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 large bunch kale (any kind), stemmed and shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven and sauté sausage until brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain sausage on paper towels and reserve.
Deglaze pan with a little of the chicken stock. Add garlic, onions, carrots and red pepper, and cook 5 minutes until vegetables begin to soften. Add remaining chicken stock and potatoes. Bring to a boil, turn down to low heat and cover pan. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until carrots and potatoes are done.
Add sausage slices and kale, bring back to a boil, and then simmer for 6 to 10 minutes until kale is tender.