- 1 1/3 cups brown basmati rice, rinsed
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Combine rice and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer on low heat for 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened. Remove from heat and stir in the ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, red pepper flakes and cloves.
Add the cooked rice, scallions, coconut and agave nectar to the skillet. Mix thoroughly. Sprinkle with soy sauce (if using), salt and pepper.