- 12 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup frozen blackberries, thawed and drained
- Juice and zest of 2 to 3 Clementine oranges (you will need 1/2 cup of juice)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Clementine orange slices (for garnish)
- Powdered sugar (for garnish)
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a 9-inch cake pan, lined with a circle of parchment, spread 4 tablespoons of butter thickly over the surface. Sprinkle with the brown sugar. Distribute the berries over the surface of the brown sugar mixture.
In a small pan, melt the remaining 8 tablespoons of butter. Remove from heat and stir in the 1/2 cup of Clementine juice, the zest, egg and vanilla extract. Beat well.
Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and granulated sugar in a bowl and add the butter-egg-citrus mixture. Beat until smooth. Pour the batter over the berries and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the pan cool for 5 minutes then turn out onto a serving plate.
You may garnish it with slices of fresh Clementine and a sprinkling of powdered sugar if you so desire.