- 1 pound firm white fish, such as cod, halibut or snapper
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced, plus additional for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons Serrano pepper, minced
- 2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, small dice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
Carefully prepare the fish, removing any pin bones and skin. Cut into 2-inch pieces. Place in a bowl, along with lime juice, cumin, garlic, cilantro and salt. Mix carefully to coat. Set aside while preparing broth and vegetables. The fish should marinate at least 15 to 30 minutes or up to 1 hour in the fridge.
Place broth, coconut milk and remaining vegetables into a medium pot. Heat over medium-high heat until boiling; reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are cooked through.
Add fish, with marinade, to the soup and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until the fish flakes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with lime and fresh cilantro if desired.