- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil, divided
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 3/4 pound potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds cod fillets, cooked and flaked
- Panko breadcrumbs, for coating
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook celery, shallots and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in celery seeds and cook 1 minute more. Let mixture cool.
In a large bowl, combine celery mixture, potatoes, parsley, mustard, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper. Fold in flaked cod, being careful not to over mix. Form into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) patties and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Roll chilled cod cakes in breadcrumbs, lightly pressing so that they stick to the cakes. Heat remaining oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook cakes until golden brown on each side, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
You can substitute many kinds of cooked white fish for the cod in this recipe.