- Cooking oil
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded 1/4-inch thick
- 4 slices deli or Black Forest ham
- 4 slices smoked semi-firm cheese
- 2 eggs beaten with 2 tablespoons water
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Spray a baking dish with oil. In a shallow dish, stir together breadcrumbs, butter, garlic, paprika, oregano and thyme; set aside. In a separate dish, mix together flour, salt and pepper; set aside.
Place a chicken breast flat on a work surface; lightly season with salt and pepper. Top with a slice of ham and cheese, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Tuck in the sides and roll up tightly, like a jellyroll; secure with toothpicks. Repeat with remaining chicken, ham and cheese.
Lightly dust the rolled chicken breasts with flour mixture. Dip them into the egg mixture and then gently coat them with breadcrumbs. Place the chicken in the prepared baking dish, seam-side down. Lightly spray the top of the chicken with oil. Bake until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 25 to 30 minutes.