- 6 bell peppers, any color
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Splash of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Remove tops from peppers and scrape out ribs and seeds. Cut a small slice from the bottom of peppers, so they stand flat.
In a large bowl, combine quinoa, zucchini, carrots, tomato sauce, ½ cup mozzarella, Parmesan, pine nuts, basil, parsley, fennel seeds, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Divide mixture among peppers.
Add 1 cup water to the bottom of a slow cooker. Place peppers in the pot, cover and cook over High heat for 3 hours or Low heat for 6 hours. Remove lid and sprinkle each pepper with remaining ½ cup cheese. Cover and cook for a few additional minutes to melt cheese.
This recipe is sized for a 6-quart slow cooker.