- Serves: 12
- Ingredient Notes: Vegetarian, Corn-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free, Gluten-free, Peanut-free, Soy-free, Tree nut-free
- Each serving
- 150 cal
- 9g fat (1.5g sat)
- 0mg chol
- 660mg sodium
- 15g carb
- 3g fiber
- 8g sugars
- 2g protein
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons pimenton de la Vera
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne or harissa (optional)
- 6 red or yellow bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
In a large, deep saucepan over medium-high heat, warm olive oil. Add onions, and stir, cooking until translucent and pale gold, about 10 minutes. Lower the heat to medium-low, add garlic and cook for several more minutes, being careful not to brown. Stir in spices, cayenne or harissa and bell peppers. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add tomatoes with their juice and broth, stirring gently to blend. Simmer uncovered for 30 to 60 minutes, until liquids have reduced to a thick sauce. Taste and add salt as desired.
- Top with feta cheese and serve as you would soup, with grilled pita for dipping.
- Warm the sauce to medium and poach one egg per person directly in the sauce.
- Pour over couscous, quinoa or rice.
Divide equally between 3 large freezer tubs. Label with the name and date. Use within 6 months.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member