- Serves: 4
- Ingredient Notes: Vegetarian, Vegan, Corn-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free, Gluten-free, Peanut-free, Soy-free, Tree nut-free
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Cheesecloth and kitchen twine
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 8 small new potatoes (red, purple or Yukon gold), scrubbed and halved
- 8 baby turnips, scrubbed and halved
- 2 carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1 bulb fennel, quartered
- 8 stalks asparagus, tough stems removed
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Prepared garlic sauce, aioli or mayonnaise, for serving (optional)
Place thyme, peppercorns, cloves, bay leaves and garlic in a piece of cheesecloth tied with twine.
Bring wine to a boil in a wide, deep saucepan for 2 minutes. Add cheesecloth bundle, water, oil, lemon juice and onions. Bring the liquid back up to a simmer. Add potatoes and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Add turnips, carrots and fennel and simmer an additional 3 minutes. Add asparagus and simmer until all vegetables are just fork-tender, about 3 minutes more.
Remove vegetables from broth and divide between 4 shallow bowls. Ladle a little bit of broth around the vegetables and sprinkle with parsley. Dollop with garlic sauce, aioli or mayonnaise to serve.
Save remaining broth, refrigerated, for up to 1 week and use in any recipe calling for vegetable broth.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member