- 1 pound dried black beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Cover beans with 3 inches cold water and soak overnight. Drain and rinse.
Add beans, vegetables, spices, coconut milk and stock or water to a slow cooker. Cover and cook on High for 6 hours or Low for 8 hours.
Stir in vinegar, salt and pepper; let simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Stir in cilantro before serving.
This recipe is sized for either a 4- or 6-quart slow cooker.