- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed tangerine juice
- 1 teaspoon tangerine zest
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder, divided
- 2 to 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup high-heat oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 4 to 6 small, dry hot chile peppers
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground or crushed white peppercorns
- 1/2 cup pea pods
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper strips
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup peeled tangerine segments
To make the cooking sauce, combine soy sauce, vinegar, sherry, tangerine juice and zest, sugar and 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder; set aside.
Cut chicken into thin strips. Toss strips in 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder to coat.
Heat a wok or wide frying pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add 2 tablespoons oil. Add chicken strips and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until just done through. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan. Add garlic and ginger; cook for a few seconds. Add chiles and peppercorns and stir-fry until aromatic, about 10 seconds. Add pea pods, bell peppers and green onions; cook for 1 minute.
Add chicken back to the pan and pour in cooking sauce. Simmer until sauce bubbles and thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Fold in tangerine segments and serve over steamed rice.