- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup grits
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped Andouille sausage
- 1 pound (26–30) shrimp, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Hot sauce (optional)
Bring chicken broth to a boil. Whisk in grits and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring often, until grits are creamy, 10 to 20 minutes. Stir in cheeses, cream, salt and pepper; cover and set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until crispy, about 7 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add shrimp. Cook, turning once, until bright pink and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add lemon juice and scrape the bottom of the pan to release browned bits.
Divide grits between bowls and top with shrimp and pan sauce. Sprinkle with green onions and drizzle with hot sauce.