- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Polenta or gluten-free crusty bread, for serving (optional)
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, anchovy paste and pepper flakes. Cook until the garlic is just golden and anchovy paste dissolves, about 2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and wine. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.
Nestle the shrimp into the sauce and sprinkle with capers and olives. Cover the pan and simmer until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
Season to taste with salt, if needed (the olives, capers and anchovies are quite salty).
Serve over warm polenta or with good gluten-free crusty bread.