- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain; run through a food mill, ricer or mash. Stir in butter and milk; season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and garlic; cook, until soft, about 7 minutes. Add lamb and cook until no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the fat.
Stir in tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, peas, fennel seeds and parsley; season with salt and pepper.
Transfer lamb mixture to an ovenproof dish. Spread potatoes over the top and crosshatch with a fork. Bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes.