- 1 cup very thinly sliced root vegetable (beets, carrots or Yukon gold potatoes), divided
- 2 cups chopped winter greens (beet tops, kale or spinach), divided
- 4 (4-ounce) salmon or halibut fillets, divided
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice, divided
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or chives, divided
Preheat oven to 425° F. Cut 4 (18- by 13-inch) pieces of parchment. Fold each piece in half and cut out a large heart shape.
Place 1/4 cup vegetables and 1/2 cup greens on one side of a parchment paper heart. Lay 1 fish fillet on top of the vegetables, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, salt and pepper, and drizzle with a little oil. Top with 1 tablespoon orange juice and 1 teaspoon basil or chives.
Repeat with remaining ingredients and parchment hearts.
Beginning at the top of each heart, make small overlapping folds, picking up both sides of the paper. Crease the folds well and make sure each new fold overlaps the previous fold. Twist the tail end under to seal.
Transfer packets to a baking sheet. Bake until fish is cooked through, the packets are puffed and starting to color, 12 to 14 minutes.
Transfer packets to serving plates and use scissors to cut a small X in the top of each packet. Tear open carefully (the packets will release steam).