- Butter, for the pan
- 1 cup whipping cream (see note)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 fennel bulb - trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) firmly packed shredded goat Gouda
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Generously butter an 8-inch square glass baking dish with 2-inch-high sides.
Combine cream, half-and-half, fresh fennel and fennel seeds in a heavy, large skillet. Thinly slice potatoes and add to the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently to separate vegetable slices. Boil for 5 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Transfer half of the potato mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle half of the Gouda over the mixture. Top with remaining potato mixture. Firmly press mixture down. Sprinkle remaining Gouda over the top. Cover dish tightly with foil.
Bake until potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is golden brown, about 10 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
It’s okay to use all half-and-half instead of cream for a lighter dish.