Bitter radicchio is perfectly balanced by sweet pears and aged balsamic vinegar in this easy side dish.
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 firm-ripe pears, thickly sliced and seeded
- 1 large head radicchio, shredded
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, vinegar and oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove bacon from the skillet with a slotted spoon, leaving about 1 tablespoon fat in the skillet.
Add pears and radicchio and cook over medium-high heat, stirring gently, until golden brown and just starting to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper; transfer to a platter.
Drizzle dressing over pear mixture and sprinkle with bacon, hazelnuts and chives. Serve immediately.