- Olive oil
- 5 to 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 Italian-style chicken sausages, quartered and chopped
- 3 to 4 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock (or a combination)
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch winter greens (such as collards, kale or escarole), cut into thin ribbons
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Splash of lemon juice
Heat a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat and add olive oil to cover the bottom. Add garlic and sauté until it just starts to turn golden, then add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add sausage pieces and brown lightly.
Stir in celery and lentils and stir for a few seconds. Add stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until lentils are cooked, but still firm to the bite.
Add tomatoes and greens and simmer until greens are tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with grated Pecorino Romano cheese and a splash of lemon juice.
This soup freezes well.