- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 12 ounces shiitake or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 cups mushroom stock
- 1 inch ginger, sliced into coins
- 2 pieces (4-inch squares) kombu
- 1/4 cup white or yellow miso
- 2 tablespoons tahini (optional)
- 12 ounces soba noodles
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, tough stems removed and leaves sliced
- 8 ounces firm tofu, cubed
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Soy sauce or tamari, to taste
Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 additional minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
Combine stock, ginger and kombu in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove ginger and kombu, if desired.
In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup hot stock with miso and tahini to blend. Set aside.
Return mushroom stock to a boil and add soba noodles and kale. Cook noodles according to package directions, until both the noodles and kale are tender. Remove from the heat and stir in reserved miso-tahini mixture.
Divide soup between 4 bowls and top with sautéed mushrooms, tofu and sesame seeds. Season to taste with soy sauce or tahini.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member