- 10 to 12 small red, yellow or Chioggia beets
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 5 ounces baby spinach, arugula or watercress (or a mix)
- 2 peaches or nectarines, pitted and segmented
- 3 green onions, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 ounces goat or feta cheese
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo or butter beans (optional)
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed (optional)
Preheat oven to 400° F. Remove beet tops (save for another meal!); wash and dry beets.
Rub each beet in olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Place in a roasting pan and cover with foil or a lid. Roast beets until a knife easily enters the larges one, about 45 minutes. Let cool. Slip off beet skins and cut into segments.
Prepare dressing by mixing together orange juice, vinegar, salt, pepper and thyme in a small bowl. Using a whisk, slowly incorporate 1/2 cup oil.
Place greens on a serving plate or on four individual salad plates; top with beets and peaches. Sprinkle with green onions, cheese, beans and capers. Drizzle dressing over the salad and serve.