- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 5 to 6 cups chicken, mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1 cup finely minced wild or domestic mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped, plus additional to garnish
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional to garnish
In a heavy pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook shallots until translucent.
Increase the temperature to medium high-heat and add rice; stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add wine and stir until absorbed. Pour in 1 cup chicken broth, add mushrooms and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add an additional cup stock and stir, once again, until fully absorbed. Proceed in this fashion with remaining broth except 1/2 cup, until rice is cooked al denté.
Stir in basil, thyme and 1/2 cup stock. This should make the rice a little bit juicy. Immediately stir in Parmesan; the cheese will melt into the stock and form a creamy sauce around the rice. Serve immediately, garnished with sprigs of basil and Parmesan cheese.