- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips or half of 1 (3 1/2-ounce) dark chocolate bar, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream or plain Greek yogurt for topping (optional)
In a bowl, stir together sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, salt and spices. Whisk in 1/3 cup cold milk a little at a time to create a smooth, thin paste.
In a saucepan, combine chocolate and remaining 1 2/3 cups milk. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted. Gradually whisk cocoa paste into chocolate mixture, continuing to stir over low heat until pudding thickens. Cook for 1 minute more.
Remove pan from the heat and stir in vanilla.
Divide among 4 dishes and serve warm or cover the surface of the pudding directly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until fully set, about 2 hours. To serve, top each pudding with whipped cream or Greek yogurt, if desired.