- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, cut into cubes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 chipotle pepper with 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from a can), chopped, or to taste (optional)
- 1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons almond or peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 to 2 cups chicken broth, as needed
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Cook onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin and cinnamon; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chipotle pepper and sauce, tomatoes, raisins, almond butter, cocoa powder and brown sugar; stir to combine. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan.
Add enough chicken broth to generously cover chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce thickens slightly, 15 to 20 minutes.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member