- 12 asparagus spears, tough ends removed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Splash of truffle oil (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 6 ounces chèvre cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- Pinch of ground clove
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced leeks
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons dried sour cherries
- 2 to 3 cups mixed baby greens (you may toss in fresh mint, basil and arugula if you so desire)
Preheat oven to 425° F. Toss asparagus with olive oil, truffle oil, salt and pepper. Spread spears out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 4 to 6 minutes, depending on thickness, until asparagus is crisp-tender. Don’t overcook. The asparagus will continue to cook a bit after they have been removed from the oven. Let cool.
Lay a slice of prosciutto out on a work surface, spread with a layer of chèvre (about 1/4-inch thick). Place 2 asparagus spears on top of cheese, cross wise. Roll prosciutto into a tight pinwheel around asparagus. Repeat with the rest of the prosciutto, chèvre and asparagus.
In a small bowl combine sherry wine vinegar, honey or brown sugar, sweet chili sauce and clove. Blend well.
In a sauté pan over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons oil and sauté leeks for 1 to 2 minutes or until a little golden on the edges. Add ginger, hazelnuts and cherries and cook for 1 minute more. Pour in vinegar-honey mixture and bring to a gentle simmer. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
Toss mixed greens with a little vinaigrette and divide between 6 salad plates. Cut each asparagus bundle in half on the diagonal and lay one bundle on each plate. Drizzle the entire plate with warm vinaigrette, evenly distributing the hazelnuts and cherries.
You may grill the asparagus if you prefer. Preheat your grill to high and cook, turning occasionally, until slightly charred and crisp tender, 3 to 6 minutes.